It’s commonplace: statistics tell us that pastors don’t take great care of their bodies. However, if we are to remain effective for the long-haul, we must pay careful attention to taking good care of our bodies. Body care is part of soul care, too!
Your Body Care Checklist:
Answer these eight questions and determine how well you are caring for your body. (And be honest!)
- Am I keeping my body weight at a reasonable level? (You can calculate your body mass index here.)
- Do I regularly exercise? (This means 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes.)
- Would others say I manage my stress well?
- Do I do some fun things outside of ministry?
- Do I take a full day off each week?
- Do I avoid guilt feelings when I take my day off?
- Do I take a real vacation each year?
- Am I able to disconnect from the phone, email, and computer for several hours at a time?
“Yes” answers are good; “no” answers are not so good. How did you do?
If you answered ‘no’ to any of these questions, what should be your next step to take better care of yourself? (Also, check out this post about the importance of a good night’s sleep.)
This article about body care originally appeared here, and is used by permission.