The following list contains a few practical examples of simple things you can begin doing to bring gospel intentionality to your schedule. Hopefully as you are reading through these examples, it will spark ideas for your own life.
5 Practical Ways to Celebrate and to Mourn:
1. Make a list of all the birthdays, anniversaries, and important dates of the people in your church and neighborhood. Get those gifted in party planning to help you plan celebrations for those special days.
2. Start a needs awareness network/Facebook group for your neighborhood so that people can communicate the needs of the people in the neighborhood and your church family can respond as needs come up. Encourage your other neighbors to join and help.
3. Pick a major theme to throw a neighborhood party once a quarter (examples: Easter, July 4th, Halloween/Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). Try to line them up with the major holidays celebrated by the people in your city. Hang in there and do it regularly to create a rhythm of celebration in your neighborhood. Make it something people look forward to each year.
4. Recruit someone with decorating and party planning skills to volunteer with you to help struggling families in your neighborhood or part of the city. Utilize the variety of gifts in your missional community to help pull it off.
5. Offer to be the point person at your church to help other members when they experience difficult times. Be the person who helps line up meals, or line up other needs to help them when things are rough.