Obviously I have met hundreds, maybe thousands, of leaders in my life. So have you. The older I get, there is one characteristic that I feel is the most attractive quality a leader can have. The most attractive quality a leader can have is . . . humility.
Leaders come in all shapes and sizes. Some take extraordinary risks. Others play it closer to the vest. Some have larger than life personalities. Others are introverted. Some are well-educated. Others have innate street smarts. Some have large platforms. Others operate in complete anonymity except to those who know them.
I have met great leaders who were both men and women, young and old, different ethnicities and from different political parties. You cannot put great leadership in a box.
Great leaders also have a variety of attractive qualities:
• And on and on and on … but humility remains at the top:
11 Practices of Humility in Leadership
1. A Humble Leader always gives credit to others.
2. A Humble Leader is generous financially and with praise.
3. A Humble Leader is forgiving. He/she understands grace.
4. A Humble Leader helps those who cannot return the favor.
5. A Humble Leader develops lifelong friendships.
6. A Humble Leader plays to his/her strengths.
7. A Humble Leader delegates his/her weaknesses.
8. A Humble Leader says, “I don’t know.”
9. A Humble Leader is teachable.
10. A Humble Leader says, “I’m sorry. I was wrong.”
11. A Humble Leader is a lasting leader.
After reading the list above, are you a leader people run to or run from?