Known for his laser-focused, gospel-centered teaching, Exponential East speaker Matt Chandler talks preaching with Dave Ferguson in this podcast interview and shares why preaching a “massive gospel” is vitally important to both the people who are listening—and the leader who is sharing it.
As part of Exponential’s 2014 “Seek + Save” theme, Chandler will focus on ReThinking Preaching both onsite at the conference in Orlando and via the Exponential East live webcast. Check out some of the key takeaways from their conversation and then download the full podcast:
1. What’s missing in preaching today and how we change nonbelievers’ commonly held perception of preaching as “bad news.”
2. The vital importance of both deconstruction and reconstruction in your preaching.
3. A real-life recent example of how Chandler has deconstructed and reconstructed an idea in a message series.
4. Seasons when Chandler had to “rethink” his preaching.
5. Chandler’s experience wrestling with using humor in his preaching.
6. Why teaching pragmatics won’t change people’s hearts.
7. How we talk about topical issues from a gospel-centered framework.
8. Why preaching a “massive gospel” that encompasses both personal salvation and the kingdom of God helps us start to reframe the gospel and preaching.
9. How Chandler encourages biblical literacy through preaching and is mindful of the nonbelievers listening to him.
10. How he works through the challenge that some of the people he’s preaching to might not believe what the Bible says.
11. Three ways Chandler gauges the impact of his preaching and gathers feedback (including talking to nonbelievers).
12. A specific message to men in great positions of leadership who are living in what Chandler calls “golden handcuffs.”